Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Two Sundays ago we went to Mass to the Holy Ghost Father's compound which includes grammar and secondary schools - about 30 acres in all. After Mass we visited the cemetery within the grounds to pay our respects to the first 3 Mercy sisters who died in Kenya. As an added treat I got to see the grave of the sister who died from a hunting spider bite 18 months ago.
Speaking of such, the geckos are a delight to watch, especially int he chapel. They have plenty of moths to eat as there are not screens on the windows and you need to keep them open day and night because of the heat.

Those of you who were at Mercy Burlingame's Golden Jubilee Celebration last June might remember the lovely blue dress I wore. I had bought it in Nairobi in May. When I returned here I discovered this type of dress is only used as a house dress or bathrobe and so I have not worn the two I have outside the convent but I will wear it to teach in Narus, Sudan.

Yesterday I got my Sudanese visa. A truly beautiful document, only it had me as 5'2" with brown eyes and grey hair and born on Mercy Day. The passport number and photo are correct and that is all that matters. Thank God they did not ask for my weight.

You can tell I am grasping for things to write about. Politics is always a hot item here. The headlines in the "Daily Nation" say "ANNAN CALLS KIBAKI(president) AND RAILA(an MP) TO GENEVA." Former UN chief backs local tribunal but warns: Hurry up or list goes to the Hague. It has been more than a year since the election violence and there has been no prosecution of the perpetrators of election violence. Well over 1000 people were killed in the rioting and several hundred thousand displaced.

Then there is the famine. Not too many countries want to help Kenya since there has been some serious corruption in regard to the maize that was stored for just such an occurance.

Hopefully, the next blog will be from Sudan.
Thank you all for your support of this venture.










1 comment:

  1. Dear Kathleen,
    Loved your discovery about your blue dress!! And do stay away from hunting spiders, please.
    Home from Belize and had a wonderful time. The dolphins were somewhere else as we only saw three fins and four out of the water in the thirty hours we spend looking for them. The scenery, birds, wildlife were great though. And the Ruins were awesome!
    New kitty, C'mere Girl, is quite chunky and insists on being a lap cat when I am reading the paper.
    Hope you get to Sudan soon. Prayers -- Kay

    ReplyDelete